May 20, 2016
Children’s faces filled with joy as they sang at the Riverton Boys and Girls Club in Portland two years ago and I thought, “I need to be involved in this.” I joined the Board of Directors at 317 Main Community Music Center a few months later.
I’m writing today to share why I give to 317 Main, and to ask you to join me in making a donation this spring.
You may know 317 Main as a place where people from southern and midcoast Maine take music lessons and play together with other musicians, but your donations make it much more. At 317 Main, we believe that music is for everyone. That means all skill levels, all ages, eager learners who may not be able to afford lessons, even those who have never touched an instrument.
Thanks to your generosity, in addition to the 500 students taking lessons at our studios, another 500 have participated in free and low-cost music programs this year (a 62% increase over last year!). 317 Main relies on your donations to:
- Teach a weekly violin class for 3rd graders at East End Community School
- Engage choral and instrumental ensembles at the Boys & Girls Club
- Host students from Wayfinder Schools and Casco Bay High School for drumming and songwriting workshops
- Host drop-in jams for teens and adults
- Provide financial aid for music lessons
- Present free concerts and performances featuring professional and aspiring musicians
- Fill the gap between our tuition and the real cost of the 317 Main experience, to keep the price of lessons reasonable while paying our teaching artists fairly
Will you join me today in making a generous donation to 317 Main?
As a non-profit, 317 Main earns about 65% of our annual budget through tuition and program fees, and we raise 35% through your donations, foundation grants, and corporate sponsorships. Our donors have contributed more than 80% of our $400,000 goal for this fiscal year.
Will you help us raise the last $80,000 by June 30th?
Every gift makes a difference.
A variety of giving options are available, including monthly giving, gifts of stock, and more. Visit www.317main.org/donate for more information.
Please join me in supporting 317 Main, and plan on coming to the 317 House Party Fundraiser and Auction on June 16th.
Thank you and best wishes,
Nancy Berrang, 317 Main Student, Board Member, and Partnership Program Committee Chair
P.S. 317 Main Community Music Center changes lives. Your gift makes it possible.